We May Not Have It All Together, But Together We Have It All.

Friday, September 9, 2011

Rush Week.............

Why does my home look like a frat house all the time?  I ask myself this question at least a couple times a week.  I think back and don’t seem to remember my house needing as much constant cleaning.  Hmmmmm, not sure what has happened.  I mean seriously, I have one less, messy person living in the house this year.  (Although Major would disagree with the statement that he is “messy”) So that should take away from some mess.  Right?  Then, I think, I have two kids who are now a year older and they should be able to take on one or two additional chores.  Hmmmmm, what is going on????  Maybe it is my pet peeves that drive me crazy about the current members of this fraternity.

For instance: 

·        The mascots of the house (our beloved German Shepards) shed to the point where I have stock in dyson and often wonder if I could make money knitting Shepard sweaters.  Seriously dogs, get a job and pull your weight around here.

·        My wonderful 8 year old has a phobia about allowing the toothpaste tube touch his toothbrush and freaks if toothpaste touches his hand, so he feels the need to squeeze out a length of toothpaste that makes it safe.  For him anyway, not for my counters. 

·        Oh, and my amazing 10 year old just loves her snacks so much that it is only natural after 500 redirections by mom that she still is not quite sure what a trash can is for, I mean swiss cake and granola bar wrappers must be too heavy to carry ten feet to the trash can. 


I’m thinking I should go ahead and begin an initiation process that coincides with rush week.  Here, the potential members of this house would have to either prove their worthiness through cleaning abilities or drink their weight in Sunny D. 

Oh, wait, and then I remember….  Even though I may have one less person in the house to mess it up, I realize how much having that one person around really does help with the work load.  That person may not be a stellar clean freak, but he takes on kid stuff and errands which allows me more time to keep the frat house up to code.  I have to remember to give myself a break and know that I am one person and I cannot do it all.  If the dishes have to wait till the next morning to get in or out of the dishwasher, then they can!! After all being a house manager is hard work and we all deserve to allow ourselves to be imperfect and to laugh about it.   

Ten weeks and counting.  Ten weeks still feels a ways off to get too excited about but at this point there is a glimmer of a light at the end of the tunnel.  I miss Major more than ever these days.  Getting through the next few months seems like it will need to be robotronics at this point, but hey, if that gets us there, I am ok with that. 

No comments: