We May Not Have It All Together, But Together We Have It All.

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Happy Birthday.....

Some of the most unexpected things can bring happiness to your life in ways you didn’t expect. 

Syd had her birthday this week and it was our first real family tradition event that we had without Ry.  In anticipation for her birthday I thought there might be a grey cloud hanging over the day because of Ry’s absence but instead we focused on the fun and happiness and our day was great. 

Of course, there was some sadness about Ry not being able to be there for his baby girl’s birthday and as a military spouse, I found myself having fleeting thoughts of wanting time to just “wait” for Ry to come home so he could share this day.  However, I knew that I was faced with yet another choice in my journey.  I could feel sad all day about Ry missing her birthday and let that overshadow the wonderful day, or I could accept life for what it is and make it a fun and happy day. 

Just like many situations in life…..Life doesn’t stand still for any of us and wishing to change things is just silly. The biggest gift I can give myself and my children is to keep moving along because it reminds us that a positive outlook will take you far and keep you healthy and happy. 
Syd has talked about her tenth birthday many times with Ry because she feels that since it is double digits it is monumental for her.  Syd told me the other day that “my 10 year, 16, and 20 year birthdays will be the most important birthdays of my life.”…..ahhh to be young again. 


Syd began her big day with the wonderful surprise of hearing and seeing Ry when he called to wish her a happy birthday. 
We had a great day and I hope you do too!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Anthony Schutz posted your article in the paper and I immediately asked him for your blog address. Your words ring so true to me (even Mustache March :) ) and you are such an encouragement. My husband has been deployed since January and is scheduled to come home soon. We have three boys, 5, 2, and 1. He was supposed to come home this week but they have delayed it and probably won't get home until the 21st. I know that is nothing compared to your deployments, but this last leg is killing me since it keeps changing. Anyways, I really needed some encouragement and reminders to be happy, so THANK YOU!

H. said...

Just read your article in the paper and it touched me. Thanks! My hubby is about to deploy for the first time and we have a 9 month old and hearing what others are feeling is really comforting. Thanks again!!!

Tory said...

Im SO glad that you can relate to the blog. It totally makes my day when I know that there are others out there that can "totally get" what I am talking about. Even though we are stangers, I am so proud of you both and wish you all the best.