We May Not Have It All Together, But Together We Have It All.

Friday, August 19, 2011

Heros and Villains

I got home from work today and as I was finishing up answering some emails I noticed how enthralled my son was playing with his super hero figures on the floor next to me.  I felt so happy inside.  I shut my computer and quietly sat and watched him play for the longest time. 

You see, there was an epic battle underway between the villains and heroes.  Brock would periodically smile when a villain would fall and the hero numbers grew stronger.  I asked Brock “who was winning” and he looked up at me with an innocently straight forward answer he said, “The good guys, of course.”  I thought about how differently we can all see the world and even more, how blessed I am to have a son who, through all his trials and separation, STILL believes and knows that the “good guys” will always win.

There are still good guys in the world.  Sometimes it can get so hard to remember how full your glass really is or remember in your heart that the “good guys” are still winning.  There is horrible news, sadness, loss…so many “villains” out there.  And sometimes, we can all get lost in the villains and forget to see that there are so many more heroes out there.

The heroes bring us joy and a sense of security and happiness.  I am happy today because I see how even though the villain of war took Brock’s daddy from him for a year, our devotion to install in our children the “good guy” stuff has served him well.  He knows that through the hard times and challenges, is how the good guys win.  We are so proud of our good guy and can’t wait to see him again.

No comments: