We May Not Have It All Together, But Together We Have It All.

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Coulda, Shoulda, Woulda.......



Don’t you hate it when you have that moment of clarity when you realize….Oh my gosh, my kids are growing up way too fast. I have these every now and then.
Last week, I was so excited for the kids to come home. I had missed them terrible that day. They got off the bus, walked in the door, threw their book bags on the table and ran out the door to play with their friends.

It was a beautiful day and of course they wanted to play outside, but when I suggested that maybe we all go out and play ball, they both looked at me like I was crazy and said they would rather play with their friends. Wow,….I'm not as cool as I used to be with them.

So, I sat on the porch and read a book while they were screaming with glee across the neighborhood. I started to think about how fast they have grown. I remember when they were tiny like it was yesterday and wish that they could stay that way forever.


So I asked myself. Have I done all I can up to this point in their life? If I could go back, could I have done something different? Then of course, with my mind, I asked......what in my life could I have done differently.
I started thinking of many times in my life when my decisions didn’t lead to my desired outcome…..I began to contemplate different actions and what those possible outcomes could have been…but I found……every decision me make (good or bad) has an outcome….and each of those decisional outcomes brings us to where we are today as people. So, can I really say I have any regrets or should have done something differently? Maybe if I had done something differently then I would not be where I am today surrounded by the people that love me so.

Maybe a better way to put it is...have I learned things from my past, and not.......should I have done something differently. If I learn from it, I can do it better, but if I never do it, then I cant learn from it.

Interesting…..why do people have so many regrets? Of course, there are times when I say something silly (as my friends like to call them….Tory-isms) and after I say them I think, duh…..and sure there were times (So I am told…) that I was a little too outspoken at work…but that is so much more than outward appearances. It is who I am, it is how people learn to interact with one another, and it is acceptance.

So maybe from now on, instead of coulda, shoulda, woulda, we should all remember…relax, live and learn.

No comments: